Sunday, February 15, 2009

Best Valentine's Ever!

Dustin is so good to me. The Valentine’s festivities actually started 2 days before February 14th. I have wanted a new robe that wasn't a huge cotton bathrobe that makes you look twice your actual size. So Dustin went searching and was able to find a gorgeous silk robe and I love it! Just what I wanted! So then comes Valentine’s Day. I knew this day was going to be a little hard for me because, though it is nice to get gifts, I am definitely not a "gifts person." I already felt guilty about getting the robe earlier, though it was such a sweet thing to do. I just always hate it when people spend money on me. I always think that money could be better spent. Anyways, the only gift I actually wanted was a dozen red roses. They have always been my favorite flower, Dustin and I have a little history with a dozen red roses, and they are so perfect for Valentine’s Day.



So we slept in and took the day slowly. We have been planning for the past week to make a four course French

meal. We spent a lot of time, and a bit of money, to go all out for this dinner. So after cleaning the house and watching a chick flick, we began to think about making dinner. But wait, before we begin, Dustin HAS to go check the mail. He comes back with a letter for me, from him, that he sent though the mail. It was a beautiful long love note! It was so unlike him to do something like that but I couldn't have been happier.


Then, when we started getting things together for the dinner, we remembered that we did not have wine glasses for our white and red non-alcoholic wine. So Dustin ran off and grabbed some wine glasses while I finished getting ready. While he was gone, I got a knock on the door and it was a delivery for me from a floral company. So I ran to the kitchen, grabbed some scissors and opened it up, and there it was! My dozen red roses and they were beautiful.


So after he got back from the store, I told him that this had better be the end of the surprises. I think an elegant robe, a love letter, roses, and the four course meal were enough. He assured me the surprises were over. So then we began preparing dinner at 3:30. We had to begin with the dessert first, which was Crème Brulee, because it needs to chill for some time. I won’t bore you with the details of making a French dinner, but it was definitely an adventure. After making the dessert we had a fromage, which is a spread of French cheeses with a baguette. To make a long story short, there is only one of the cheeses we will actually continue to eat. The other ones were simply for the experience. So after the fromage, we had a spinach salad with strawberries, almond slivers and poppyseed dressing. Apparently, in France, they have spinach-based salads and dressings with a kick!


The third course was definitely the biggest. Dustin made filet mignon and some blanched vegetables. Yeah, we had to look up what blanched meant...it was quite the ordeal just for vegetables. While he did that, I made rosemary roasted red potatoes and some béarnaise sauce to pour over the filet mignon. After that, we were finally done with the main course. It tasted so good and was rather filling.


By this time, it was 7 o'clock and we were thinking that since we had just eaten so much, we would wait a while before we would have some Crème Brulee. Well, 8 o'clock comes around and we decide it is dessert time. We went ahead and crystallized the top of the dessert with our broiler, since we didn't have a torch, and it actually turned out very well. All in all, the entire dinner was a success.

I feel so lucky to have a man who takes such good care of me. I truly had an amazing Valentine’s Day! Thanks sweetie!


3 comments:

  1. What fun! Looks like a great way to spend the day. Are your flowers still blooming?
    ~jsk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meridith, I found your blog from Mickelle's. You should totally go into detail about the creme brulee because it's my favorite dessert but I'm too intimidated to try to make it. Sounds like you guys had a great valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Valententins day now! (this one was the greates EVER!!) I love your new blog (face)lift! Missing you too!

    ReplyDelete